Saturday, September 1, 2007

Morning glories

On Saturday mornings during the summer I like to meet up with my bestest-of-friends, Ms. K, at the farmer's market and stroll around in search of treasures for our respective tables.

Today, I finally remember to bring along my trusty little digital camera so I can capture the beautiful images that abound.

"Is she a photographer?," I overhear one vendor ask Ms. K after I request permission to snap her glorious gladiolas.

"Oh, God, no!," I say, laughing. "I just like to pretend."

"She's going to put them in her blog," Ms. K informs her.

"Thank you!," the vendor says, smiling with pride.

On a sunny, cool day, like today, the colors at the market are striking. And taking pictures feels like playing with a box of Crayolas, which I absolutely loved doing as a child.

The red peppers glisten in the sun, like jewels.

And the green peppers could not be any greener, even if they tried.

A basket of sweet onions regales us with purples and greens and whites and light browns, arrayed like the eggs of a happy hen.

The sunflowers are a feast for the eyes with their bright yellow leaves against the dark, velvety centers.

And there are gigantic dried sunflower heads, which people take to feed the birds. I'll make sure to get one of those next time.

The tomatoes not only look scrumptiously juicy and sweet, but their colors are playful.

I buy one of the baskets with multi-colored tomatoes, which summon me over with their intensity, as if they were smiling at me.

The eggplants are truly at their best, with their sparkling purple gowns and dark green caps.

"Look at this one!," Ms. K says as she points to a spirally eggplant that was too coquettish to ignore.

The fresh lettuce, for its part, looks like a sea of cresting greens and purples.

There is even a gigantic pumpkin, selling for a whopping $10. It's a reminder that pumpkin season is coming soon and that the colors of the farmer's market won't be with us much longer.

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

These pictures are lovely. The colors are so inviting, and I love that you got us right into the details. That pumpkin!