Thursday, June 18, 2009

Home, sweet home

I made it home late last night after my husband picked me up at the airport and we stopped at the grocery store to stock up on my necessities (like lactose-free and soy milks), and about 20 minutes into being home, there was a faraway explosion and the world went dark.

The little village in the middle of nowhere had lost power when one transformer blew up for reasons unknown (probably because there are so many trees around here that anything can happen to the power lines on a windy night, and it wasn't all that windy!). The electricity wasn't restored until past 1 a.m., when I got up to turn off all the lights that had been on around 10:20 p.m., when we had just settled in to enjoy the night.

The blackout was followed this morning by my desktop computer going completely haywire, deciding to turn off on me and crash several times, giving me The Blue Screen of Death with dire messages that I couldn't read fast enough to take note of what was going on, and basically calling it quits. I delivered it this afternoon to a computer repair place and they said they were backed up and would probably have it ready late next week, at best. GaD I have my office laptop or I don't know what I would do!

So, yes, the return has been a little accident-ed, to say the least, but I'm not taking that as an omen. Regardless of the small setbacks, it's good to be home with my husband and the kitties. We all (well, I can't speak for the cats) miss Geni terribly and she's left a huge void in our lives and in our small apartment by the woods in which she was the center of everyone's attention (even Magellan got jealous if Geni received more pets than she did).

But, even if greatly reduced, our little family is once again together and we're all happy for that, as you can see from this photo of two contented cats, doing what they do best (in Darwin's case, keeping watch on the birds and squirrels outside the window, and in Magellan's, napping).

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

It turns out that the transformer was on fire! And then when the power went out the next morning, it was because the electric company was trying to fix what had burst into flames...