Saturday, August 1, 2009

A day at the fair

Today my husband and I took a break from all the moving and organizing that we've been doing to attend the last day of the county fair since I'd never attended one in these parts before. Once there I bemoaned the fact that I'd left my trusty digital camera at home, but my phone camera didn't do badly, considering.

Attendance was sparse early in the afternoon and already most of the animals had been taken away, back to their farms, but the typical fair fare was in prominent display.

Personally, the only one I cared for was the cotton candy stand, and I was surprised to find that there was only one such and that it was hidden way back at the fairgrounds. What's a fair without cotton candy, I ask? Most pleasant was the discovery that the bag of cotton candy I proceeded to eat had only 114 calories.

There were still a few animals on display (the most impressive being the gloriously beautiful draft horses one of which was truly a king among horses but there wasn't any light in the make-shift stable so I couldn't take his photo). These good-looking chickens had a sign on them that said "broilers" and some cute rabbits were marked as "fryers." Who fries bunny rabbits for God's sake?


The hogs were huge and noisy and smelly but the "Porkettes" stand was busy with long lines in contrast to the taco and Indian bread stands for which there was no excitement. You can tell we are in the middle of the Midwest.

The last thing we saw was the sheep, most of which had been taken away, but this one seemed friendly enough. I'm not sure if it also was slated for somebody's table but I would bet it was so.

It was a sunny, warm day and while the fair itself was a bit underwhelming (we've decided that leaving it to the last day wasn't the best idea although it couldn't be helped), we had a good time (and fulfilled our quota of junk fair fare for the year). The cutest sight was the pedal tractor pull where little kids pedal to pull a tractor that gets heavier and heavier the farther they advance. The little girls were kicking butt!

No comments: