Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tentative days of spring

This morning, Lizzy and I took our first walk in weeks on the muddy trails, and we were both delighted (well, she more than I, who am not a fan of mud). At one moment, the loud gobble of a wild turkey fascinated Lizzy and she stopped in alert but gave up when she couldn't figure out what was making the sound.

Later today, as the evening was turning to night, and after I had chased her (to her delight) around the yard, she carrying a large stick in her mouth and me laughing and panting at her antics, we sat quietly on the deck to watch the fall of evening. The spring peepers are a pleasure and a group of geese flying above making a ruckus was the only sound interrupting the settling quietude.

Lizzy, disappointed that I wouldn't let her run to chase off the deer eating on the other side of the fence, settled down to watch their every move and to fantasize about how fast she would run if I let her and how many deer she would scatter because, albeit her small size, she's ferocious (or likes to think of herself as such). (Lizzy and I are very similar, indeed.)

No comments: