Monday, July 5, 2010

A small tribute to my dad

There will be a short private service at my small college on the hill this week for my dad and then in Puerto Rico, the week after, there will be a Catholic mass, which promises to fill the small church where it will be held.

In the meantime, I've arranged a few of his personal belongings: the last book he was reading, his glasses, his passport and appointment book, his watch and comb, around his ashes (the urn won't be ready until later this week) in a small altar in our dining room. The photo poster was made by the wonderful funeral home we were recommended, which also posted a lovely obituary for him on their web page.

I have a candle burning at the altar and it gives me great solace to wish him a good night and to say buenos días, papito, in the mornings.

2 comments:

Jene' said...

And a very lovely tribute it is.

Boricua en la Luna said...

jc has left a new comment on your post "A small tribute to my dad":

Gracias por compartir esta memoria con nosotros. Es un poco como estar con ustedes.