Friday, February 11, 2011

Dawning

This morning, the sky was so pretty, all decked out in pastel pinks and blues, that I just had to take a picture. The earlier rising of the sun and the later setting counter my already-sick-and-tired-of-this-interminable-winter blues and remind me that Spring does spring eternal, like hope.

My semester continues to unfold in surprisingly manageable ways, even though I am teaching three classes. I also really enjoy the teaching aspect again, feeling that I may have figured out a lot during my time off and, consequently, feel more at ease and in command in the classroom.  I also am appreciating the ability to (finally!) balance my life and my work. Achieving that balance is a personal pledge and I want to prove to myself that I can do it. So far, so good.

I guess this is a good place to be when I'm only a few months away from getting to the half century, and I am blessed that I feel it has been a good half century, full of peaks and valleys, and some very difficult valleys at that, don't get me wrong. But, overall, I am right where I want to be, pretty much, at this time in my life and that's a true gift, I know.

I still have ambitions and projects to get accomplished, and while my husband insists that I've already made it into some kind of Hall of Fame and need not continue "swinging for the fences" (a metaphor I love since, as a child, I wanted to be a Major League baseball player), I confess that I don't know any other way to play than to bat aiming for that next home-run.

No comments: