Saturday, March 19, 2011

Crow Moon


Tonight, for the first time in 19 years, the moon is at its fullest and its closest to the Earth. We couldn't miss the show, so my husband and I "saddled up" Lizzy (basically put her halter and leash on) and I placed Chiquita inside my jacket and off we went to the nearby trails to await the moon rise, which was scheduled for 8:05 p.m.



However, because we live in hill country, the moon didn't actually rise over our hills until about 8:45 p.m. and Chiquita got quite antsy given that she's not used to being out in the pitch darkness on a cold night. Lizzy, white against the dark shadows of the trail, veritably glowed, as if she was phosphorescent.

The moon was worth the wait. It rose, pale faced and serene, over the blackened sky, glowing like white fire. If let loose, the she-wolf in my soul would have howled.

No comments: