Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summer's feel


Today, my first College Daughter, who graduated two years ago and is here for part of the summer, called that she had a "mystery trip" planned to show me something she refused to describe. I am not a fan of surprises and find mysteries annoying, as I promptly told her, but the trip was well worth it. Turns out there is a waterfall with a nice series of cool-water pools near here, which is a good thing to know if my brother or sister and their kids come to visit me this summer.

On the way back, we saw an Amish mother and son selling huge quarts of fresh strawberries on the side of the road. I couldn't believe it when the Amish woman said the strawberries were $2 a quart! So we bought six quarts and I kept three so that promptly, upon returning home, I could make my first open-faced strawberry pie, with an Amish ready-made crust that I bought at the Farmer's Market a few weeks' back and had frozen.


After returning from our road trip this week, I've been attending a faculty seminar on law and society, which ends Friday, and then on Monday I begin a three-week intensive program for underrepresented students at my small college on the hill. That will keep me busy until July 1, when my one-year leave officially begins (can't wait!).

No comments: