Monday, March 11, 2013

Good memories of Savannah


The Symposium on the Gothic in Savannah was a wonderful experience. As I've mentioned, I got to present some of my work on Delany, which is part of my book project, and it was well received (even though our panel was not well attended since none of us is a "name" in the field yet). But, most of all, Savannah stole my heart with its flowers in February and it's very Southern Gothic character.

Our last night there, we had a delicious dinner at the 17Hundred90, one of the most haunted inns in the city, and my husband took this picture of a "ghost" looking out of the second-floor window from which the actual ghost is purported to have either jumped or been pushed to her death while alive.


My husband took the picture below with his camera as we stood on River Street, on our last day, and watched one of those gigantic cargo ships glide by on its way (seemingly to hit) the beautiful new bridge over the Savannah River.


We did some walking around the city and enjoyed the flowering bushes in February and the beautiful architecture of the squares into which the city is divided.


The second and third days, when my husband was there, the weather was mostly rainy and gray, and that's when he got this great shot of a "ghostly" masted ship coming into port. The hotel where we stayed had large picture windows that overlooked the river so it was great to see all the ships come and go.


I was also thrilled to discover the Puerto Rican flag hanging from the ceiling of the Savannah airport   on the day of my return to Ohio. I took that as another "sign" of affinity with this unique city!



The city, the food (OMG, the food!), the people: everything in Savannah made the trip worthwhile and we'll definitely make sure to return in a not-too-distant-future.

No comments: