Tuesday, July 8, 2014

20th anniversary!


Our 20th anniversary began early on July 4th when we went to my in-laws' lovely hill in West Virginia to visit them and my husband's sister and nephews, and were surprised by a cake and a celebration. That definitely set the tone for what was one of the best anniversaries we've ever had.

On Saturday, we packed up the car and started the drive to Kentucky, where we'd decided to spend our actual anniversary since I'd never been to the state or seen the horse farms or been to a bourbon distillery. I'd heard my husband talk about them after he did a motorcycle tour of three distilleries 13 years ago and this was an easy trip to a different place that promised to be enjoyable. And it didn't disappoint.










In researching for places to stay during our visit to Bourbon Country, I stumbled upon the 1851 Maple Hill Manor B&B, which came highly recommended. I'm often wary of Trip Advisor recommendations since we've had some not-so-good experiences with places highly rated on that site and I heard a story on NPR about how their reviews aren't always true. But we decided to try it and were really happy we did.

The inn, on top of a hill near Springfield, KY, is an alpaca and llama farm, with spacious rooms (we stayed in the Clara Barton Room) and a slow-paced feel that was just what the doctor ordered. The breakfasts were superb, with the "eggs in a basket" were particularly memorable and, unlike in the link, the eggs inside were perfectly fluffy and scrambled. The rambling property invited strolling, taking time to wait for the sunset, and petting the two friendly cats who became our shadows each time we went outside to enjoy the glorious weather and the large patio, which invited us to sit and read and chat and simply be. I decided to take advantage of their call-in masseuse and got a 30-minute neck, shoulders, hands, and feet massage that left me feeling more relaxed than I've felt this entire year. What a treat!





Another highlight of the trip was our visit to the Maker's Mark Bourbon Distillery, where we saw the whole process, from the "white dog" liquor produced from the fermented (yuck) grains to the finished product, which was provided at tour's end in a tasting. I don't like bourbon so I passed but my husband was able to fully enjoy that part of the tour.



We also went to the Lincoln Birthplace National Park and it was truly impressive to see a replica of the famous log house preserved in what is basically a mausoleum. On our last day, and on the recommendation of another couple we met at the inn, we went to a famous independent bookstore in Lexington, KY: Joseph Beth Booksellers.


I love these three-day trips since they're not long enough to trigger my "I miss my house!" reaction. It was truly a special anniversary. Now we're thinking, thanks to my sister-in-law's idea, that maybe for our 25th we ought to return to Puerto Rico, to the place we were married in Guánica. Stay posted.

1 comment:

Ivonne Acosta Lespier said...

Para las bodas de plata definitivamente deberían venirse al Copamarina..