Saturday, October 6, 2007

Where's October?

OK, so I'd hoped October would be it for this unusually warm weather. My month. My wonderful, 60-degree days, 40-degree nights, orange-yellow-burnt red month. The month of brisk mornings and air-conditioner cool evenings. The month of fall.

But no. It's not to be, it seems. The same way that Evil Winter refused to leave earlier this year and we had that killing frost in April (which, I recently found out, wiped out the entire apple orchard we like to visit each October in a nearby town), summer is hanging on with tooth and nail.

For today, the forecaster has predicted we'll break a record of heat by reaching 88 degrees. And Sunday and Monday we're poised to break 1939 records by edging past the 90-degree mark. In October!

A colleague commented recently that she thinks fall is a thing of the past because of Global Warming. Oh, I do so hope she's not right. How sad it would be not to have fall.

My husband, of course, is thrilled. Any minute of cold we miss, makes him happy and he keeps reminding me that this means winter might come later, rather than sooner.

But I'm afraid things don't work that way. I'm worried that we won't get fall but we'll be battered by winter and then winter will creep into spring, which also is on its way to disappearing, it seems.

My college on the hill is famous for its display of fall colors. I hope this October summer doesn't do away with that too! I was planning a photo gallery to share the show...

No comments: