Monday, April 21, 2008

Spring garden glories

After two crazy-busy weeks, one in which I traveled three hours each way to and from a two-day meeting north of my small college on the hill, followed by another week that went by in a blur after hosting a visiting Latino poet, life has regained its saner and more enjoyable pace.

One thing I've learned at this stage of my life is that I don't measure my success by how crazy-busy I am, but by the time of leisure that I can spend literally smelling the roses (well, more like spring flowers nowadays because it's too early for roses).

In that spirit, today is one such day. I'm ensconced in my basement office, listening to classical music on my husband's great stereo, while working on revising a part of the dissertation that has been accepted for publication in a book. I'll then move on to start revising the larger Monster, which is finally finished.

My advisor e-mailed me Saturday and said my introduction and conclusion were "terrific" (total hyperbole coming from his very-demanding self), and that he'd approve the dissertation as being fully drafted. That means that I'm basically finished for real, since the revisions that are needed for the defense version of the Monster are minor.

On top of this great news and of getting back to my more manageable life pace, spring is definitely here and our garden (soon to be someone else's once the house is sold!) is full of glorious sights, which I'd like to share with you.

I have no idea what the pink bush below is called, but it is simply glorious. Not only are its flowers pink and dainty and lovely, but the perfume coming from them is simply sublime. I also love the contrast between its tiny flowers and the large, blood-red leaves of the bush.

Speaking of blood, my bleeding hearts are also in full bloom, hanging from their long, green stems, like loving, bursting hearts available for the taking.

I also have no idea what these tiny blue flowers are called, but they look like miniature grapes, and I absolutely love their azure daintiness.

The down-to-earth daisies, always facing toward the sunlight, swayed in the breeze, pretty and happy.

And then this, the pièce de résistance of the early spring garden, these breathtaking tulips of vivid yellow and fiery oranges with black centers, summoned me to them, demanding attention.

The tulips are all decked in their best regalia throughout the garden these days. Not be outdone by their multi-colored cousins, these red and yellow tulips also called me to them so I could look at their dark centers, surrounded by the explosive velvety petals of their primary colors.

Spring is most decidedly here, the semester is almost over, my husband is a much happier man ever since he started working from home, we're both in good health, our families and friends and menageries of pets are well, and the Monster is basically finished.

What else could I possibly ask for? Not a thing. Nothing at all. That is a true blessing.

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

Hooray! Hooray!

Are you planning to dig up some of those bulbs and bring them with you to our county when you move?

So glad you are both happy and healthy.