Monday, June 9, 2008

Path to somewhere

That's the idea that my husband says this photograph, of me looking toward the trail leading into the Redwoods, evokes. And that's exactly the kind of picture I wanted for this post.

So while I like to keep this blog anonymous by purposefully not using names or showing photographs of people, this photo of little me with my back to the camera while the Redwoods loomed ahead and besides me, works surprisingly well.

Tonight, I'm poised, like I was when my husband took that photograph almost a week ago.

Tomorrow, I defend my Monster.

Tomorrow culminates five years of seemingly endless toil toward the Ph.D.

Tomorrow, one trail ends and I immediately set foot on a new one.

Tomorrow is an open threshold, and as such, I have some trepidation about what the process of crossing it will be.

But it will be crossed, like so many others that have come before.

And, si Dios quiere, tomorrow I will finally be Dr. G.

(Well, not officially, since that title isn't bestowed by the university until I graduate in August. But who's keeping score?)

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

I'm so glad that it's time for you to come over this threshold, because you're so ready for it and we'll all be so much better for it. Congratulations, sweetie. I hope the experience kicks butt (in all the best ways).