Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Buscando colores

This is my view each and every morning, as the two senile mutts and I take off on the first of our two daily walks.

Today we started a little later than usual because Tuesdays are a slower-paced day for me. I don't teach and don't hold office hours, and there were no meetings to attend, so I took longer than usual to get out of the door. I decided to take my little digital camera and go in search of some actual fall colors, which was a good idea because since then, the skies have become overcast and gray.

But earlier this morning, the sky was azure blue and it contrasted brightly against the flaming sugar maple in our neighbor's yard.

In our route, we came across other sugar maples in different stages of changing colors, like this one only now edging from greens to yellows with only hints of orange.

To this other one, on our way back home, which is already almost completely changed to the telltale hues of fall.

More telltale are the reddish brown leaves collected at the foot of an erstwhile beautiful maple that has already lost its leaves.

And the lipstick red berries peppering a small tree, awaiting the birds that will make good use of them through winter.

I love the way the light behaves in fall, because there is a magical quality to it that is not there for the other seasons of the year. On Monday, the sunlight played with shadows on the floor of my little kitchen.

And Darwin played with the sunlit rug, always in search of a way to make a nuisance of himself as he tries to relieve his eternal boredom, especially since Magellan disdains to play with him, and the dogs don't care much for him either.

Magellan, a true boricua, adores the sun, and now that it comes fully through the kitchen windows, she found a spot in Geni's favored bed where she could sunbathe and look regal, her bluest eye glinting in the sunlight, like a jewel.

3 comments:

Dr. S said...

I was thinking about you this morning as I drove to the accountant's: the leaves are blowing down gently, the way they do for only a couple of days each fall (before rain makes them soggy and heavy-dropping, and before they're brown and gross), and I thought, "This is the fall she's been wanting!" I hope it is, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Aww! These photos are so delightful! Not least because I get to see a photo of one of my most favorite furry creatures Magellan!

It's good to see the leaves of the trees, too. There aren't very many trees to watch change with the season here in the big city. But I was at a cemetery on Friday and it did the trick enough to last for a little bit!

Thanks for making me feel so warm inside, on a day that I'm looking in any and every direction for a good feeling! :)

Boricua en la Luna said...

Dear JP: I'm glad you enjoyed the photos and the trees. Magellan, like all of us, misses you, although she puts up a good front. I hope you know that many here are sending warmth your way each and every day, even when the big city doesn't provide much of that. :)

Dear Dr. S: This is finally looking a little like the fall I've been waiting for. Although much warmer and shorter. But it'll do just fine. Thanks for thinking of me!