Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Two days and counting

I'm left a little dizzy when I think that 2008 has only two days (well, at this point more like one and 3/4) to go. I'm always taken by surprise with how fast a year can go, how time appears to speed up as we get older, something like the reverse of what happens to time as you approach the speed of light. Now that I'm in my late 40s, instead of time slowing down, it seems to want to rush ahead like it's late to an appointment.

Today is the first day since the fall semester ended that I have nothing immediately pressing to do (well, other than prepare for next semester, which I've already started doing), and I can actually look at the day as it spreads before me and choose what I want to do.

First and foremost, of course, will be the gym and then maybe I'll go catch a movie at the large mall that's about 50 minutes away (I welcome those long trips as a good excuse to listen to the NPR podcasts I download into my new purple Nano). Getting to the movie theater at least a couple of times is something I'd like to accomplish during these next 2 weeks before classes resume again.

I've also registered for a yoga class Saturday morning at the yoga center I used to attend when I was still a graduate student at my humongous university. That'll be before I get my hair done that day, and perhaps I'll get to squeeze in a visit with my wonderful friend KG.

At home, all is as it should be. Yesterday, Magellan took advantage of a sunny spot on our bed to sun herself. And, today, the squirrels are gorging themselves on bird and squirrel food (as captured by my husband above).


Darwin is, of course, poised in front of the large picture window in the living room, dreaming of the chance to pounce on the sinvergüenza squirrels, who have no shame or restraint and who seem to love to taunt the poor cat, who can be heard bumping into the glass window now and then when he gets overly excited and optimistic and forgets the laws of physics.

Tomorrow, on the last day of the year, we'll inevitably reminisce about these past 364 days filled with challenges and changes and movings on and moves and transformations and farewells. But more on that tomorrow. Today, everything is as it should be.

No comments: