Monday, December 15, 2008

Wild, wonderful West Virginia

Yesterday was likely the last best day of this winter, which is already full blown even when it hasn't even officially started. With temperatures reaching beyond the 50-degree mark, my husband, Geni and I all got into my trusty Scion early Sunday morning and went West Virginia bound. This was likely the last time this year that the weather would enable us to make the almost three-hour trip to visit with my parents-in-law at "The Hill," as their four-acre compound is affectionately known.

All week, my husband worked diligently to make a cement grave marker for Rusty, creating his own mold, carving the concrete to spell out his name and then painting the name in black for contrast. Once we arrived, we placed the small concrete block on top of the grave my husband dug for Rusty 2 weeks ago, and which my wonderfully thoughtful mother-in-law covered with evergreen branches. My husband also planted a walnut tree (where the white plastic stick is) so that Rusty will someday have his own little tree grove.

I was happy to see that the view from Rusty's resting place is perfect for him, since not only did he love to sit there in life, looking upon what I'm sure he saw as his dominion, but he is now an eternal part of these rolling hills that he loved and enjoyed so much.

I was worried that Geni would be disoriented once we got there because she always visited The Hill with Rusty and was his devoted scout on all of their joint adventures, but she seemed pretty content, if a little cold because of the winds, which made it feel a lot colder than the temperature reading. She enjoyed lying in the sun a lot, although her favorite spot is under an old camper that is now used for storage. My mother-in-law is such a great Abuela of Dogs that she actually set down warm coverings under the camper (not a mean feat, let me tell you) so Geni would be more comfortable and would not get muddy.

I think Geni is enjoying all the extra attention and love and petting that she's getting now that she's an Only Dog. And she makes it so easy for us by being such a loving, easy-going doggie. The Ying to Rusty's Yang, as our new vet said recently. That photo below, of her adoring my husband, is pretty typical of her. She especially likes to press her point by pawing my husband until he rubs her ears, and then she moans contentedly.

It was a short visit since we had to get on the road before darkness fell and the chances of hitting a deer skyrocket, especially around our small college on the hill, but it was well worth it. We visited with my parents-in-law, visited with Rusty, who I'm sure misses us but is happy roaming his erstwhile loved hills, and Geni got to run around and sun herself a little. It was the nicest day yet of this so-sad winter, which hasn't even officially begun.

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

I love that picture of Geni looking sleepy and happy on the lawn.