Saturday, November 14, 2009

A two-day trip to Oberlin

For a long time I've been wanting to visit Oberlin College in Ohio, because of its historical importance as the first college to accept both women and African Americans in this country. I finally got my chance this weekend when I attended the meeting of a multi-college committee I serve on, and a Student of Color Leadership Conference, at which I moderated a panel on the retention of students and faculty of color.

My husband came with me since he also was curious about the place and we were able to get a great house and pet sitter and left Lizzy and the kitties in very good hands.

Apart from the meeting and the conference, we also got to have breakfast at our favorite place: IHOP. I remember the times in Puerto Rico when we would drive from our house in Guaynabo to the IHOP in Hato Rey but then it closed. Since there are no IHOPs in Central Ohio I'd practically forgotten all about it.

That was until I saw an IHOP commercial on TV the other night and my husband, without betraying his intentions, found out that there was one near Oberlin and drove us there this morning. Those scrumptious buttermilk pancakes were quite the treat!

Spending a day or so in Oberlin reminded me once more of the a-historicity of the opposition to Affirmative Action. As I remind my mostly Anglo students, we need to consider that Harvard College, which opened for white, propertied men, was established in 1636. Oberlin College, which was the first institution of higher education to open its doors to non-whites and women, was established a little less than 200 years later.

How can groups of people make up for 200 years of being actively excluded and prevented from benefitting from and participating fully in the intellectual life of nation? That's one of those questions that visiting a place like Oberlin should make us think long and hard about.

No comments: