Friday, December 4, 2009

The countdown begins

My husband claims that there are so many pictures of Lizzy on my blog that it's going to have to be renamed "Boricua con Lizzy." But she's so adorable that who (other than my husband) could be tired of her pictures? (If you are one of them, please don't tell me!)

Hereabouts, we've begun the final countdown for the semester's end. And while I've had some wonderful moments with students, those times that remind me of why I have made teaching my vocation, there have been other, not-so-wonderful ones, that remind me that I am not a sun strong enough to keep some planets in orbit.

Next week is the last one of the semester and I'll be teaching the poetry of Dickinson and Whitman, which is always an "1812 Overture" kind of way to end the semester, and, in my postcolonial class, we will be concluding our discussion of Beloved, which I consider the U.S.'s answer to Shakespeare's legacy.

Just like the Thanksgiving break was a God-send, the break for the holidays will be most welcome as very-much-anticipated down time for reading (preparing for next semester's classes) and watching movies and TV and maybe even revising (and dare I hope sending?) the article that I've worked on a little this semester. But, mostly, there will be lots of spending time with my husband and resting and going to the gym and doing the fun things that are much funner because they are so rarely engaged in.

I like the Christmas season and it's perhaps when all my latent Catholic inclinations surface to be buried again as soon as January speeds beyond the 6th (Three King's Day). I love the idea of welcoming a season when a savior was born to offer hope to those who had none. And I love the idea of a new year, a clean slate, and to finally bidding this horrid 2009 good bye forever.

No comments: