Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bluebirds of happiness?

My husband and I were delighted yesterday when we discovered that up to five Eastern bluebirds are coming to drink water from his makeshift heated birdbath/water source, which has stood up well to the frigid temperatures of this chilly, snowy January (we woke this morning to 7 degrees!). (According to the weatherman, there are usually about 7 inches of snow in January but we're already up to almost 16 and the month is not even half over!!)

The bird-feeding station my husband built is also very popular these days with all kinds of birds (he's identified 27 different species that either come to the feeder or hang out in our backyard), which entertains us and the cats to no end.

I also put out food for the deer and we're going to get a salt block (or some such thing) that also provides nutrients for deer and wildlife during these horrid food-less months when the ground is covered by snow and almost all that is green is dead. Anything that I can do to thwart the cold, death-like grip of Winter, I will do!

No comments: