Saturday, May 29, 2010

Summer heat

I feel to absolutely blessed that I can sit and read for long periods of time (something that during this semester I almost forgot I could actually do), especially when I can do so outside, with a view to everything that is greening and blooming and chirping and flitting around me.

I also feel positively giddy when the heat becomes almost tropical (today we went into the high 80s) and I begin to sweat and I get red-cheeked with any amount of exertion outside. I totally loved the time today that I was able to spend in the backyard weeding (can you believe it?!).

In the rush and push to finish this past semester, I had actually forgotten (maybe it was a defense mechanism?) how much simple, unalloyed joy there can be in a series of days that demand little more from you than to be alive and present and aware.

No comments: