Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sights and sounds

Uncharacteristically, since she usually likes to hiss and bare her fangs at my sister and mother, Magellan today allowed my sister to come this close with her Iphone to take this picture. At almost 11 years, Magellan is still a regal, if rather scrawny, feline.

Lizzy, on the other hand, has nothing of the regal in her as she strikes a not-very-demure pose for my sister. She does look a little abashed about it, though.

Finally, Darwin likes to use my sister (as he does with me) as his body pillow and likes to chill out that way for at least part of the day.

Meanwhile, my father's light wanes a little more every day. He is now almost unable to speak at all and barely can nod his head. I miss him as he was only a week ago when he could still articulate his excitement about the last book he will not finish, The Evolution of God, which he read last year when he came to visit and was re-reading this time around.

His life is like a fire that runs its course and is now in its last embers. But how brightly it shone, like a sun, when it was afire. I like the idea that you can still see the light of dead stars millions of years after they no longer exist. For as long as I live, I will see my father's light shining bright on the firmament of my memory.

1 comment:

BadassMama said...

I so admire your spirit and your eloquence as you move through this time. Wishing you peace and blessings (even bittersweet ones).