Thursday, June 3, 2010

Spooky

This was the color of the sky yesterday evening after strong thunderstorms passed through the area. I was washing dishes when I noticed the sky was an ocher color, something I don't remember ever seeing before.

We all paused in our chores for a few minutes to ponder the sky's color, and my mom mentioned that red skies over Australia last year had once led people to believe that the world was coming to an end.

Nothing so dramatic happened for us, thankfully, but it left us all with a rather eerie feeling. My husband went to get his camera so he could capture the phenom, which he now says was likely caused by the setting sun reflecting against a sky covered in thick clouds.

Strong rains passed through here again today and my father, who loves to hear the rain fall, enjoyed a short time of sitting outside on our porch while the heavy rain fell and soaked the grateful earth.

The days have settled into a largely quiet routine and I only have one more day of a summer seminar I'm attending, and then it's off next week to my native state of Massachusetts for my last conference of 2010.

Then, finally, summer will be wholly summer and I will be able to devote my time to relax and enjoy, and to read and think and write as much as I can.

No comments: