Friday, August 20, 2010

A grandmother's gift

This is the bedroom set that my grandmother left me and which we had to store in Puerto Rico for more than a year. We finally had it shipped to Ohio and it now graces the smaller guest bedroom of our house. She also gave me the bedspread, many years ago, and you can imagine the kind of woman she was when you see how white and pristine it still is!

The armoire was, by far, the heaviest item but once my husband took off the mirror doors he was able to bring it upstairs with a friend's help. The vanity also had a mirror but it was too old and stained to keep so my hubby is going to try to find a new one that fits the frame. I can remember vividly my grandmother sitting on the small stool (which also needs repaired because the lattice-like wooden slats on its seat are broken), applying make up or perfume. The vanity still has her sweet flowery smell.

This chest of drawers (notice how it still shines after more than 70 years!) has special significance, too. My grandfather, who died in the late 1970s, used to keep my favorite bubblegum in the top drawer, which he would give me as a sweet reward. I remember that I was too small to reach the drawer so the anticipation was always great as to what it contained. Of course, my grandfather is now gone and I can open the top drawer with no effort, but the lovely memories remain (and I swear I can still smell the bubblegum inside!).

No comments: