Saturday, October 15, 2011

Practice doesn't always make perfect

This is the practice block I worked on today because these triangles and the "butting of the seams" are both real challenges for me. Although I've done quilting before (twice!), I find that cutting, piecing and sewing are the types of endeavor where practice (at least not the little I've had) does not make perfect.

I'm going to try for a second practice block before I cut into my more expensive fabric, in the hope that the third time is the charm for these darned triangles and seams. (To give you an example of where I'm not up to snuff: while the entire block is supposed to measure 12.5 inches, mine is about 1/4 inch short all around and it's not an even square.)

Today I spent about 45 minutes in class trying to get my abuela's machine to behave and was so frustrated by the end that I decided I will invest on a new machine, which I hope to buy next week, before the next class. I will then retire my abuela's machine, which, after all, I did use to sew my first wall-hanging last year.

In the meantime, I worked some more tonight with scrap fabric my mother-in-law gave me a long time ago, which I put to good use for this practice session. There is more where that came from so the next practice block also will showcase some old scrap fabric of hers. I love having all that fabric to iron out my kinks, so to speak, before I cut into the nice fabric I bought for the new wall-hanging I'm working on.

While practice may not make perfect with quilting in my case, it'll at least should get me to "good enough."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spray starch and a little stretching often gets me another 1/8". :)
Your points look pretty good to me. When you make a larger quilt remember that the brain will register points even if some are a bit chopped. The most important thing to remember is that you are supposed to be having fun! :)
Have fun with your new machine. You will be so pleasantly surprised at how much better a piecer you will be with it.

Boricua en la Luna said...

Thanks for the good advise! I used the starch on the second practice block and I think the points came out even better. The ancient machine conked out of me, though, so I'm going to wait for the new one to finish. Thanks again for all the good tips and the encouragement. :)