Saturday, October 22, 2011

The "real" block

Finished the "real" block for the quilted wall hanging. I got a little ambitious with the yellow squares and the block is still not really 12.5 inches square, as it should be, but the new machine is a dream to sew on.

My husband and I have decided to retire my abuela's old machine to the guest room, which has her antique bedroom furniture in it, so that it is near all the other things that were hers and are now with us.

Now it's on to "flying geese," which are even more a challenge than the triangles on this block. Thankfully, I have a lot of extra fabric from my mother in law so more practice blocks will come before the final one is done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When your wallhanging is complete you'll be able to sew all of your practice blocks into a quilt--maybe for your furry family members. :)
Your block looks great. Flying geese will be much easier, believe it or not!

Boricua en la Luna said...

Good idea about the furry children quilt with the practice blocks! And thanks for all the encouragement. It's greatly appreciated. I'm not trying the flying geese on my own yet (think I'm going to let that one for the next class) but I will make a second block with the good fabric and see if I can finally square it to 12.5! :)

Anonymous said...

Try moving your sewing machine needle one stop to the right. That may narrow your seam just enough to make it a perfect 1/4". If you're using a 1/4" foot make sure your fabric is up against the left side of the guide and not just slightly under it. All those little "slights" add up over an entire quilt.