Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring forward



Although I'm most definitely not a fan of the day in March when we lose an hour thanks to Daylight Savings Time, I have to say that I didn't mind the extra hour of light this evening to give Lizzy a longer walk. Today was wonderfully spring-like, with temperatures in the high 60s so that I was able to turn off the heat in the house and actually open the sliding glass door to the deck and leave the screen door in place for an hour or so to aerate the house a little.

I also got the chance to sit on the deck for a while, doing some light reading while watching the furry children enjoy themselves in the balmy weather. I've always loved this transition between winter (well, this has been the winter-that-wasn't) and spring because it feels like a resurrection, and I'm very much intro practicing resurrection (a term my dear friend Dr. S taught me a long, long time ago).



Earlier this week, the full moon made a spectacle of herself in the twilit sky, a luna de toros, as the old Spanish song goes about a young bull that falls in love with the moon.

There was also a lot of rain recently, before the days warmed up (this week is promised to be all in the high 60s and even 70s!) so that Lizzy got to wear her brand new doggy rain coat, though not happily. Indeed, she refused to move until I folded the hood back so that her ears were out and flopping, as she likes it, even in the pouring rain.


Chiquita, meanwhile, has taken to trolling the kitchen floor (where she looks like a miniature) for any food debris she might get the benefit of.


All in all, all is well here in our old new house in our new old neighborhood. There is no movement on the house near my small college on the hill but this coming weekend it'll be two months since we placed it for sale so it's not yet time to despair. As you can imagine, my husband and I are both very eager to be done with that financial responsibility and to get on with our lives, so to speak. But patience is a virtue that is much needed at this time so I'll try my best to exercise this most elusive of skills for me

Indeed, only nine days away from official spring, I can only but be immensely grateful for everything just as it is.

No comments: