Sunday, March 25, 2012

Weeding Day

Ten years ago today I underwent the surgery that saved my life and gave me a second chance, a Part II that has been a great ride so far.

I can't think of a better way to celebrate a decade of Second Chances than going to IHOP for breakfast and then spending the afternoon weeding. Yes, weeding.

The flower beds in our old house in the small city were overrun by weeds after three-plus years of utter neglect once we moved out and rented. Today, after my husband mowed the yard (basically a whole month earlier than usual thanks to the warmer-than-normal temperatures), I waged war on the weeds.


While I couldn't finish all the flower beds because my hands started to hurt (not being used to the hard manual labor of pulling the roots and hoeing), I got about two hours worth of work in and the flower beds look significantly better than they did when I started.

The process of weeding, I realized, is quite applicable to life as a metaphor, especially to a day like today when I'm celebrating ten years of a life's change.

I think there should be lots of "weeding" days in our lives, days when we pull up and throw away what prevents our personal flower beds from blooming and takes away the energy and the nutrients that the good things we've planted in ourselves need to subsist.

It may sound silly or corny but a Weeding Day is a good thing, and I plan to make sure my flower beds -- both figurative and literal -- are in top shape from now on.

No comments: