Sunday, April 14, 2013

April showers


Disturbing environmental news of baby sea lions dying in California and of white-nose syndrome decimating bat populations in Kentucky have made this April seem a bit like it's been taken off a page from an End of Days story.

That sense of unease wasn't abated when my husband emailed me this photo, showing a pair of mallards right in the middle of our street after heavy rains had created some pooling. I also heard from a friend that they'd seen a pair of mallards nesting near a large drain pipe off the expressway, and I think I saw that very pair recently while driving home from school. I'm not sure if that's normal duck behavior but it doesn't seem like it...

Of course, no amount of news fazes Lizzy when she's decided to take the notion of "couch potato" to a whole other level.


Troubling news aside, April promises to be a very "social" month for us, with family, friends, and other visits beginning to dot the calendar. Former students have been emailing to say they're visiting campus, or simply shown up at my office door, and I've reconnected (or will soon reconnect) with long-ago graduates. It's wonderful to see how these former students are moving through their adulthood, and it's so gratifying to know that, in one way or another, they still feel a strong connection with their former teachers, in the same way that I still feel connected with my erstwhile professors, a few of whom are now my friends.

Last night, we met up with just such friends who recently moved to a new home. As a housewarming gift, I got them a nice bowl hand made out of Mexican blue glass and I filled it with home made arroz con dulce. Our friends visited Puerto Rico last year and we had the chance to show them a few of our favorite places on the island, and they loved the food, especially the coconut-based dishes. This sweet coconut and raises rice pudding, which also is a favorite with my husband, is an easy dessert to make and very, very tasty.


I'm so thankful that moving back to our small city by the capital has allowed us to reconnect with long-time friends. At this stage of life, close friendships are few and to be treasured. Our work culture often makes it improbable (if not impossible) to find time to connect and have fun, especially when there are other responsibilities to fulfill (like child rearing or caring for elderly parents or maintaining a healthy relationship with a spouse or partner). Regardless of how busy things get, making time for close friends is a priority. True friends, after all, are a blessing, not a given. They're like a dessert that adds sweetness to the daily uncertainty of life.

No comments: