Sunday, April 28, 2013

Jubilation


Yesterday, I heard from the college president that I had been officially approved "for the promotion to tenure." The 11-year journey that began in 2002 when I started in the M.A./Ph.D. program at Ohio State culminated with that news.

Of course, this happened at the same time that I directed Honors for my department for the first time with 10 students being examined and five outside examiners. But, thankfully, everything went well so I am thankful and relieved.

Also yesterday, my husband decided to take an "official" portrait to post on my website, marking the day I was approved for tenure and also the first day of my first Honors weekend. On Friday, when I arrived at the college, my husband (the best thing that ever happened to me!) had colluded with a former student who now works as the department assistant to get a bouquet of flowers into my office.


I won't be able to feel fully celebratory until the semester ends this coming Friday, since there are still classes to plan and papers to grade and events to attend. But in addition to the physical and mental tiredness there is the immense satisfaction of a job well done, both for my department's Honors program and for the tenure process.

I am so grateful to my mother, my siblings, my family, my friends, my mentors, my professors, my students and everyone who, in one way or another, helped me through this process. And though absent, I know my father rejoices as well. We did it, papito! We did it!

No comments: