Saturday, June 29, 2013

Busy June


June has been busy around here! It started with a glorious Supermoon that shone against the dark fabric of night like a sparkling brooch, and it continued with the visit by my sister and niece, coming from Maryland, so we could all go see Wicked. It was a great visit, and I did not cease to be impressed with what an articulate, smart, and strong young woman my niece has become.



The last part of June was devoted (it just ended yesterday) to that week-long Summer Teaching Institute that I proposed and taught with a friend and colleague. For the week, we went back to dorm living, thought at a scale never experienced before, having been assigned one of the new housing apartments at my small college on the hill.




My good friend and I were struck with the fact that these are beautiful and comfortable and rather ritzy for college students, at least compared to what our own dorm rooms were.


The experience of teaching teachers was exciting (if exhausting because we ended up providing about 28 contact hours over five days), but the evaluations were extremely positive and my friend and I hope that we can repeat it again next year. Here's to hoping!

After a marathon of packing and leaving the dorm room in good shape after moving everything out, I made it back home and Darwin was so pleased to have me back, right here, where he likes to make it hard for me to look at this monitor. The best thing of being away from home is coming back!


Next week, I return to my small college on the hill to teach the three-week bridge program and I'll be staying in different digs (not as ritzy, for sure) but there will be other amenities (like a TV!), which I missed while I was up there this week. Though, when I think about it, I know I wouldn't have had any time to turn a TV on!

No comments: