Saturday, March 29, 2014

Springtime in Ohio


It's hard to reconcile with the fact that, though we're almost to the end of March, it's snowing outside. This winter just won't let go! Our favorite peach orchard here in Ohio recently announced on Facebook that the hard freeze we had thanks to the Polar Vortex killed off its trees so there will be no peach harvest this year. That's is so sad since those are the best peaches ever, from anywhere.

I'm ready to start screaming and running for the hills (though my husband likes to point out that the weather would be even colder at an altitude) any minute now if this weather doesn't take a sharp turn for the better. Thirteen years in Ohio and I'm definitely not used to, and never will my Caribbean soul get used to six months of winter.

On a brighter side, I did get out of the hospital a week ago today and, except for another scare on Monday that eventually resolved itself without an ER visit, all has been quiet on this front. I'm afraid to even whisper it since these arrhythmias are so unpredictable but so far, so good. Feeling normal is priceless and, I have to say, that this situation has given me an even greater appreciation for the days I feel well.

Because things have been as they've been, the 12th anniversary of the surgery at the Cleveland Clinic that saved my life went unremarked and uncelebrated this past week on March 25. But I'm ever grateful that my husband got a job in Ohio 13 years ago and that it allowed me to get to the place where they were able to give me this second chance at life. It's a good reminder that every day, really, should be lived as if it were our last, even if it's just to be grateful for the good and the bad.

In not-so-good news, after my post-second-ablation scare on Monday, the new doctor scheduled a third ablation, this time an AFib Ablation, which is more complicated and dangerous than the other two I've already had. I don't really want to spend a lot of time thinking about it since it only produces anxiety but, maybe, just maybe, this third time will be the charm and I will regain some normalcy again, just like I did after that other surgery more than a decade ago. This next ablation is in May so maybe that will be another anniversary to mark and celebrate. We can only hope and pray it is so.

No comments: