Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Mayo, mes de las flores

May is among the best months, indeed. Even gray days in May are more tolerable, simply because it's May.

When I saw the upcoming five-day stretch in the meteorologist's chart during this morning's broadcast, which showed five consecutive days of round yellow suns, zero percent chance of precipitation and temperatures in the 70s, I barely could stop myself from giggling.

May has many celebration days. Yesterday was International Workers' Day although nobody seemed to notice. Saturday is Cinco de Mayo, which marks the first victory in the 1862 war to defeat Maximiliano de Austria, who was imposed as emperor of Mexico by the idiot Napoleon III. My husband and I are going to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with the Latino students at the college and we're taking our second motorcycle trip of the year.

The first motorcycle trip, which we did last Saturday (when we were still in that April that was really March continued), was not the best idea I've ever had - it was my hopeful idea that we could leave the car behind and take the motorcycle since it would warm up into the 60s. But when we left it was barely 48 degrees and only about 10 degrees warmer - the word "warmer" being an exaggeration - when we returned in the afternoon. No doubt that I'm a hopeful person, as my mom always says, and that hope is what gets me in trouble, time and time again.

This Saturday, in May, the forecast is for 72 degrees. Ooops, I started giggling again!

May is also Mother's Day and my mami's birthday. My second semester ends next week after finals are turned in and then there's graduation, which I plan to attend just to be part of the pageantry and the celebration.

For the first time since I started grad school in 2002, I'll be a free woman this May (well, relatively free given that I still have a dissertation to write). I'm not registered to work or study this summer (except for a three-week college-prep program I'll be team-teaching with Dr. S in June), so my appointment book is eerily and uncharacteristically blank. It'll be a new experience for me, indeed. I must admit to a certain trepidation at having such open blocs of time. I'm so used to being busy, busy, busy.

This May, my sister is making noises about visiting with my nephews/godchildren for Memorial Day with her crazy dog, Ramey. That'll be wonderful because we'll have a great time, though my husband and I are worried of how the dog socializing will go since Rusty and Geni don't tolerate other dogs.

But then, this is May. And everything is possible in May. What can go wrong when the days are sunny and the temperatures are in the 70s? There I go with this uncontrollable giggling again...

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

Giggle away, girlfriend. Tomorrow I will tee hee with you.