Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A walk through the late spring garden

On any given late-May day in our garden, you will see the peonies (above), which are now happy where my husband relocated them.

Pansies (yellow ones, specifically) are always a must-have in my spring garden. They don't do well in the summer heat so they'll pass away under 90-degree weather until fall, when they come back for the cooler weather.
The miramelindas, or impatiens, in a light shade of pink also dot spots in the garden. They are such flirty little flowers.
Geraniums are the belles of the ball. They are showy, especially in this shade of lipstick-red, and they are hardy.

But there's nothing like the humble daisy to cheer my day. How can you frown or weep when these flowers are inviting you to smile and turn toward the sun?


This glorious cabbage rose was a gift from my mother in law, and a transplant from West Virginia. It is flourishing in the garden.


These are the brujitas I've mentioned before. They tend to be temperamental but these are doing well (so far).

And, then, the pièce de résistance: my Bleeding Hearts. By today, there are no longer these many on the plant because the heat has caused them to wither and fall off, but they were glorious despite the evil late April frost that tried to kill them.

The Garden of Good and Good, my mother calls my garden. My father calls it the jardín mágico. I like both very much.

No comments: