Monday, May 7, 2007

Sitting ducks

This morning, as I raised the blinds on our living room windows to allow the sunlight to stream into the darkened house, there was a pair of ducks - a Mallard male and his mate - on our front yard.

The Mallard drake (as the male is apparently called) had his typical hunter-green velvety head, black rump and yellow bill, while the homelier female was decked in the usual brown with dark brown bill (boy, would I hate being a Mallard female in that eternal color combination!).

They were happily pecking away in our front yard and I rushed to get the dogs and the cats settled so I could run upstairs to get my camera and snap the picture that would convince my husband that I wasn't hallucinating. But, alas, the picture of the ducks will have to wait because they vanished, literally, into thin air by the time I returned to the living room.

Of course I ran outside and spread some wildlife feed (corn, peanuts, bird seed) on the ground, hoping they'd come right back, but they didn't. I'm not sure what ducks eat, but I figured the wildlife fare would be acceptable. The squirrels really appreciated it, instead.

I think I saw what was perhaps this very same urbane pair last year in the front yard of a house a few blocks away. Back then, I was surprised to see a pair of ducks hanging out in the middle of our quite-urban neighborhood. But I never saw them again after that one sighting.

Still, there they were, today, in our front yard. I really do hope they return the visit so I can snap that picture and my husband believes spring fever isn't making me lose my mind.

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

You can feed them stale bread. That's what my mom and I used to feed them when we'd go to where they flocked in Buffalo.

Maybe they were refugees from Easton!