Sunday, January 20, 2008

Close encounters

The first week at my college on the hill was busy with meetings, re-connections, errands and teaching.

My new group is large (my class is full at 20 students) but they're ready to rock 'n roll, and by the way they took to the theory of the "contact zone" last week, I think they're going to, at the very least match, the great group I had last semester. But then again, that's not surprising in my college on the hill. It's just that kind of teaching heaven.

I've also been busy with my Monster, getting a third chapter ready to ship out to my advisor. Last week, he sent me a very complimentary note on my revisions to Chapter 1 and for the first time since we started this process said he wasn't going to bother sending me the manuscript back with any comments, because they were so minor. I think that means I've finally figured out what's solidly strong dissertation writing. It was time, don't you think? Especially since I'm hoping to defend in June... Más vale tarde que nunca, as we say.

Now I'm finishing the revisions to Chapter 2 and since Chapter 4 is done, then it's on to Chapter 3. I have most of my preface written so what will remain after the last chapter is conceptualized and written in the next few months, is the conclusion. My hope is that the whole Monster will be ready to take in person to my advisor in late May. Yeiiii!

The little apartment in the woods is the ideal place to stay on course with my Monster. Not only is it quiet and there are no interruptions, but there's always something interesting going on outside the large picture window in the living room, where I have set up my laptop to work.

This past week, as I was typing away at my Monster, I noticed a group of deer milling about, trying to get something off the frozen, snow-covered ground. I was sorry the dogs couldn't see them because I know they were disappointed that we didn't run into any deer during our many long walks.

Suddenly, a doe in the group appeared to smell the bird feed on the sill outside the window. Just as I concluded that this is what she must be doing with her nose in the air, she strolled right over and started munching and licking away at the seeds. I was so excited that I gingerly picked up the phone and called my husband, making sure I didn't scare her off with any sudden movements.

"Get the camera!" he said, and I did. And this is the result. So focused was she on her eating that she didn't mind the flash and she let me take several pictures as she snacked. My husband and I both think the resulting pictures are hilarious.

Full and pleased, she gave me one last parting look as she rejoined her group. Later, I cut up some apple and threw it outside and when I returned, it was gone. I have a feeling that I haven't seen the last of her yet. One more reason to love the little apartment in the woods.

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

Your pictures of this doe are totally badass. It's so strange to see snow outside the window! We haven't had any snow at all here, and certainly none that's stayed on the ground. And I only saw those woods in all their greenery. So much cognitive dissonance!

I love the second picture of the doe best.