Wednesday, January 30, 2008

One day away

The end of January, that is. And I can't wait! Last night, gale-force winds shook our two-story house again, like a great giant was trying to pry our windows from their frames. Who can sleep in that? The wind kept waking us up and I began to fear that it was going to tear out our roof.

Good multiple-hurricane veteran that I am, I hate wind. Nothing scares the bejeezus out of me more than wind.

The wind wasn't the only freaky thing last night. While the temperatures reached the upper 50s (at midnight it was 54 degrees!), this morning the thermometer registered a frigid 15 degrees with a windchill factor of minus 5. Brrr, indeed!

Still, that didn't keep me from walking about 2.25 miles with my Puerto Rican satos, who seem impervious to the unwelcoming wind. In her old age, Geni minds the snow on the ground a lot more. But neither of them seem to mind walking on sidewalks that must feel like they're frozen solid. I often worry about their paws stepping on those ice-cold surfaces. I don't even want to imagine what it feels like, but they want to walk their long walks, so it must not be too bad.

While January has very slowly molassed itself away, I've been working like the busiest bee on my Monster. Today I'm sending the third revised chapter to my advisor. That means three down and only one to go! I've already outlined that last chapter and have begun reading for it. And I've also confirmed a date for the defense in early June, which means this is for real. It's no longer a pipe dream, or a wish, or a maybe. It's actually scheduled and it's going to happen, si Dios quiere.

Even with January's freezing woes, I am warmed by the knowledge that I've kept myself on track. I had a fear of failing myself, of not coming through with my plans. I don't generally do that, but then again, I haven't written a Monster before. I didn't want to discover that I didn't have the discipline and the mettle to walk the walk. But I guess that was the wrong thing to fear at this stage of my life.

Still, I'm not celebrating anytime soon. There's still one more chapter, one last limb of the Monster that needs to be conceptualized, researched and written. Once that is done, then I'll break out the champagne (metaphorically, since I don't really like it) and throw confetti everywhere (also figuratively, since it involves a lot of cleaning afterward). I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, you bet I will celebrate that January is finally gone tomorrow.

No comments: