Sunday, May 25, 2008

Gardens of patience

Patience is, by far, the quality I possess least, and everyone who knows me knows that.

On Friday, after I started making plans to submit my finished dissertation to a book press, my dissertation co-director (who is a year younger than I am!), joked that we would not be doing so on June 12, two days after my defense.

"I think you can take some time now," she said, admonishingly, with a smile.

She's right, of course. There I go, trying to live in the future again.

But I must say, in my defense, that I'm blessed because the future (at least this immediate one), like the promise of a peony that will soon open, invariably entices me with its possibilities.

It wasn't always so. There were many years when the future was no more promising than a difficult present, which had to be endured as best I could. I guess I just want to make sure that I "suck the marrow" (me chupo el hueso) of the garden of a life I have right now.

Actual gardens are great teachers of patience. In ours, my husband took the time over the period of a week or so to photograph this one crimson peony, an empress among her peers. (BTW, tiny black ants love to walk all over the half-opened peonies for some reason.)

When she finally opened, she unfurled into perfection, more stunningly radiant than I could've imagined possible.

I'll accept my garden's lesson in patience, and pray that the future opens up for all of us just like this glorious peony did.

4 comments:

Camila said...

Talking about the promise of the future and its discontents, what do you think this very peculiar set of commentaries about this article say about our society?

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/puertoricohoy/noticias/boricua_premiado_en_harvard/408963

¡Cuán personas que hablan sin pensar lo que van a decir o, en la alternativa, personas que lo piensan muy bien pero como quiera deciden decir lo que no deben decir! :)

Me parece que alguien con autoestima en su sitio, como tú, puede ser idóneo para poder explicar si el grupo (aunque ciertamente no componen necesariamente una mayoria) de estadistas y colonialistas que pusieron el grito en el cielo por el logro de este joven puertorriqueño en Harvard, es producto de baja autoestima personal y/o grupal (de cierto grupo de estadistas que no soportan reconocer que no hay que ser sumiso para que el norteamericano te trate de igual a igual). ¿Tal vez, incluso, es lo opuesto, no crees Edwin? Me placería mucho conocer tu análisis al respecto.

Gracias, de tu amiga, Camila en el Exilio

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/puertoricohoy/noticias/boricua_premiado_en_harvard/408963

P.D. Si no recibes el enlace, puedes ir a google y, si buscas, las siguientes dos cosas, lo encontraras en el segundo articulo que aparece en la lista:

"BORICUA PREMIADO EN HARVARD" ENDI.COM

Maruca said...

What about the rest of us "younger flowers" who can only look up to your beauty and hope that we can open up so magestically as have you? I wish I could be your ant, and come visit you and admire your beauty.

-your peony sister

Boricua en la Luna said...

Gracias, hermanita. Nos vemos ya mismito. TQMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Boricua en la Luna said...

Camila,

Gracias por el comentario. No estoy segura de cuál fue el issue con el muchacho que ganó el premio. Pero siempre hay gente, de aquí y de allá (tanto en la isla como en EEUU), que son colonizados mentalmente.