Saturday, May 10, 2008

Resting places

I was able to squeeze in some rest during a whirlwind trip to Boston from yesterday to today, including visiting the famous Granary Cemetery, near the Boston Commons, where the victims of the Boston Massacre, Samuel Adams, John Hancock and Paul Revere are all buried.

I love old cemeteries, and this one was particularly fascinating not only because it dates to 1660, but also because of the rather macabre and gruesome, but absolutely cool, seventeenth- and eighteenth-century tombstones that dot its landscape.

More on my trip to Boston and Cambridge tomorrow.

2 comments:

Dr. S said...

It wasn't until I saw that cemetery, and these tombstones, that I understood those woodcut images at the beginnings of the different sections in Beloved.

You ROCK (for so many reasons, but most recently and especially for your 331 pp. manuscript!!!).

Boricua en la Luna said...

You're a sweetie, as usual! I thought the same thing about Beloved. I wonder why Morrison chose these, in particular, though...