Friday, January 2, 2009

So far, so good

A colleague friend, who stopped by today to greet us in the New Year, told us that whatever you were doing on New Year's Eve is what you'll be doing during the new year. Not that I believe that for a minute, but if it there is any kernel of truth to it, this year would bode very well for us.

That's because, very much like this squirrel at our bird feeder this morning, my husband and I spent New Year's Eve eating to our heart's content at the nearby house of good friends. There was only a handful of us, just the way I prefer it. The company was great, the food was delicious, and even the champagne (I'm not a fan) was perfect. If that's what most of 2009 is going to feel like, I welcome it with open arms.

And I have to say that, so far, 2009 has started nicely. I spent the 1st day of the year at the mall in the company of a former student who has come to be like the teenage daughter I will never have (well, she's 20 now). We had coffee at Starbucks; shopped at Talbot's for the present I'm giving Dr. S; had lunch at my favorite place: Chick-Fil-A; saw a great movie (Doubt is one of the smartest films I've ever seen, don't miss it!); went into Brookstone to examine a head lamp my former student would like to get (?); stopped by Williams-Sonoma to get a large bowl for future pie-making (one of my favorite bowls recently cracked) and I splurged on some very expensive cherries so I can make my husband's favorite pie; and then we headed back home.

Although I've spent most of today doing class prep it hasn't felt too much like work because I've been reading the latest biography on Hawthorne, the author who I will be devoting one of my classes to this coming semester. The biography is a great read (Hawthorne: A Life by Brenda Wineapple) and I've almost finished it. I've discovered how much I like biographies (well-written ones, of course) so that's been a pleasant surprise.

Thus, the 2nd day of the year was spent mostly reading and watching a little TV and doing house chores and walking Geni and fixing dinner and having a mostly quiet, relaxed day. I have to say that, so far (and, surely, the odds are that this won't last since each year must bring good and bad) I'm really enjoying 2009!

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

Gosh, if that person is right about New Year's Eve, then I'll spend the year tipsy in front of the television, watching episodes of Planet Earth.

On the other hand, I'll be in the company of people who love me unconditionally. So, that part's okay.