Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Squirrel Days

January never fails to earn its place as my least favorite month of the year in Ohio. It is severely, unremittingly cold, and eternally white or gray. By noon tomorrow, another storm is expected to dump up to a foot of snow, so this January is going out like a lion, not a lamb.

And then comes February, which is really just January all dressed up in lamb's clothing, so I'm not a very happy camper, especially because this is also the time of year that I get the pesky colds that make their rounds among those of us who live near our small college on the hill.

This kind of weather also makes everyone outside (and inside!) hungry and restless. That means that the squirrels are at their best in terms of their canny attempts to get seed out of the bird feeders, which are not intended for them. And they've gotten so good at it, I must say, that I'm about to buy a pricey squirrel-proof bird feeder just to try to at least thwart them as best I can.

Geni, for her part, simply adores chasing the squirrels (she just chased 8 or 9 of them away from the feeders in the back of our apartment). She races them all the way to the foot of the tree they all scramble up on, and then she saunters back, quite pleased with herself and expecting her biscuit reward for being such a good squirrel dog even when she's overweight, ancient, diabetic, has Cushing's Disease, and is a cancer survivor. "The Miracle Dog," that's how the vet calls her.

Here's today's record of one squirrel's foray into the feeder, as captured by my husband a few minutes ago.

First, the thief ensures that there are no witnesses to her crime.


Then, she steals the booty, eating it upside down (which must do wonders for her digestion, I'm sure!). Finally, she makes her escape, back whence she came.

You've got to give it to them. They're brilliant! Just now my husband said that the red feeder was knocked down by the squirrel and is on the ground. If at first you don't succeed...

When, oh when, will winter end?

1 comment:

Dr. S said...

I love all three of these pictures! Those squirrels, I tell you.