Thursday, September 23, 2010

Seeing stars

Today's project in quilting class was to make two "friendship stars," like the one above. I only got to make one so I'll have to make the other one here at home. These are quite challenging and the teacher had to rip and resew part of this one when one of my points came out a little crooked. I would've let it be, but she insisted that I should fix it (the idea is that if the blocks aren't symmetrical, then getting all the blocks lined up will be impossible).

By the end of class, I put a deposit to reserve a $180 quilting "kit" for the quilt below, called "American Beauty." My plan is to make this gorgeous quilt on my own (the kit has all the fabric and patterns that you need to make it). That will happen once I'm done with this class and a second beginner's class I plan to take next year to cement what I'm learning so far. Maybe making this quilt will be my major project next summer. I feel that if I can quilt a lovely bedspread like this one, then I'll know I've "arrived" where I want to be as a quilter.

That's a long way to go from four-pointed stars but, as my dissertation advisor used to tell me, "Aim for the stars," and that's what I'm doing. I'll pay for the kit in a few installments and by the time it's mine, maybe, just maybe, I can start on this beauty all by myself.

In the meantime, each time I sew on her old machine, I can feel my abuela's happiness.

2 comments:

The mother of Dr. S. said...

I am so pleased for you that you have discovered such fun in making quilts! It gets easier the more you do. I used to really worry about perfect points until I took a class with Brenda Pappadakis. Her motto is, "Finished is better than perfect." This afternoon I made a two-inch square shoo fly block. Go figure! It wound up in the center of a pincushion, but was no less fun than a full-size quilt.
If we lived closer I'd teach you how to hand quilt. That is such a peaceful way to spend a few hours--unless you're part of a bee! :)
Be patient with yourself. Enjoy the process. I think you will find that this will make you even more patient with your students.

Boricua en la Luna said...

Dear Mother of Dr. S: Thank you so much for your comment! I'm very excited about this quilting class and the teachers are really nice (although they do want those points to be perfect!). I figure once I learn then I can do the quilt as perfect as I want to. :) I almost called you recently because I had a question and couldn't reach my teachers so you may still hear from me one day. I am really looking forward to making a large quilt, even if it takes me a long time to do so. What I love about the process most is that it is completely unrelated to the type of work I have to do at school and that it does help me to cultivate patience, as you point out. Thanks again for your encouragement! I look forward to showing you my handiwork sometime in the near future. :)