Wednesday, February 22, 2012

¡Feliz cumpleaños, papito!

 On my dad's 75th birthday today, I was invited to a radio program to discuss his contribution to postcolonial and cultural studies, the fields I teach at my small college on the hill, and I had a blast.

I haven't been on a radio program since the days when, as a journalist here, I had to host the local Overseas Press Club's show on Sunday mornings, to which my dad was a regular visitor, especially when other guests canceled and I was left with empty air time. On those times, and I know there was at least one or two, I'd call him and he would gladly meet up with me and we'd have a great time discussing the recent news. Good memories, indeed.

After the radio program, we drove on our rented Fiat 500 (probably the car I'll replace my trusty Scion with in a year or two) to Old San Juan, where I lighted a candle in honor of my dad's birthday. I've been meaning to do that for a long time but never seemed to remember or find the right time to do so in previous trips here. But my husband and I made a point to do that today, and I was very glad we did so.



I placed the candle in front of the Virgen de la Providencia, which very appropriately for my dad's memory, has the beautiful Puerto Rican flag behind her.


I hope my dad, wherever he is, feels all the love we have for him and how he is sorely missed. ¡Feliz cumpleaños, papito!

No comments: