Saturday, February 11, 2012

The idea

A few years ago, when I first conceived of the idea that we would, someday, come and live in front of the beach in Puerto Rico,  I had no notion of how or when that thought would find its fruition. As we end our first full week here, I am deeply grateful that the experience has been as I first imagined it, lovely and restorative.

We walk practically everywhere so we're getting plenty of exercise (my husband more than I because he runs and walks up and down the stairs several times a day--two times going up is usually my maximum and then I opt for the rickety elevator), we don't have to hurry home, as my husband likes to point out, to tend to needy furry children (which I don't mind at all and even miss), and there is no set schedule for the days that unfold as they will.

Unless we're invited out by friends, we usually stay in and my husband fixes a quick lunch and what I'm calling his "Dagwood Sandwiches," with the pan de agua we both like so much. There's always walking on the beach and each day we see or discover something new and interesting or are regaled with a vista that is breathtaking in its beauty.
 


I've got to say that getting work done in this environment is ideal, even beyond how I first imagined it so many years ago. Must be because the brain, unencumbered by other concerns and busy-ness, can dedicate its neurons to the task at hand and ideas come fruitfully and the time is always there to get them down on paper, or to sit and read, something I find so difficult back home when there's always something else to do or somewhere else to go.

This morning, after our daily hour-walk to and from the nearby Starbucks, we stopped at the panadería for some baked goods and I was struck by the bounty of delicious confections that were available. My husband got a dessert with dulce de leche and almonds, and I picked up a huge mallorca (the pastry at bottom left) and a slice of flan de queso for dessert at some not-far future time.


As to the weather, my desktop icon that tells the weather back home in Ohio said 18 degrees this morning and snowy, but the seven-day outlook for this island of glorious beauty is a lot more promising. I have to admit that while I am counting the days until I go home, a part of me doesn't want those days to go way too quickly.

No comments: