Sunday, July 20, 2008

Second days

On this, the second day of living in our new small apartment in the woods, everyone seems to have adjusted pretty well. Darwin has come out from under the love seat that now sits in what will be my husband's office, and Magellan has taken full possession of the place, liking most of all to lie on top of the coffee table in the living room, something she never did in the large house in the tiny city.

I think that she has discovered the coffee table now because it affords her a strategic vantage point from where she can watch both large picture windows, and because it keeps her close to where I spend most of my non-moving-around-doing-chores-and-organizing time now, both to watch TV or use the laptop. I really like using the laptop while I'm sitting comfortably on our wonderful couch and can also look out both windows. The cats definitely know what they're doing.

Rusty didn't have much appetite this morning but his bout of puking seems to be over, and he's also enjoying taking his pick of where to lie down around the apartment: the wonderful bed that his titi D gave him, which is now in the living room, or his fluffy rug in the bedroom, or any spot in the carpet that he fancies at a particular moment.

Geni is, of course, happiest in the kitchen, although she also likes the carpet in the apartment, specifically a spot in the very short hallway to the bedrooms. As you may imagine, having plump Geni spread right where we must pass in order to get to the other half of the apartment isn't ideal so I'm constantly shooing her back into the kitchen.

For the first time in weeks, as the skies begin to darken because of an impending thunderstorm, I'm feeling like this is (finally!) a lazy Sunday I might just enjoy as such, even though I've been up and about since before 6:30 a.m. getting things unpacked, cleaned, and organized. My husband took off early in the truck and will be returning later with another truck full of "stuff," as he likes to call the things I've collected (he is a true Spartan minimalist) throughout our married years and before.

I can hear the distant thunder, and so can Darwin, who keeps looking back at me as if for reassurance that all will be well, while a refreshing, rain-cooled breeze is blowing in through the open windows, significantly improving on the muggy, hot start to the day. The rain should be here any moment now. Maybe this is a good time to take a hint from Rusty and Geni, and go take a nap before my husband arrives laden with stuff.

No comments: