Saturday, July 5, 2008

To my husband

Today we are 14 years old
And I wanted to write you a poem
One I’ve been composing for a long, long time

One that would capture your smile
Like dappled sunshine, playing hide and seek among the forest trees
One that would feel your laughter
Like tropical rainfall, drumming on large green plantain leaves.
One that would invoke your love
Like a vast ocean, reflecting blue-green depths into my open skies.

Today our marriage is teen-aged
And I wanted to give you a poem
One I’ve been imagining for a long, long time

But I’m no poet
And I can barely write what I mean
In this language that is mine but not mine and will never be
Because it won’t bend to my will

Today our marriage is 14 years old
And still my heart skips when I look at you
And still I miss you when you’re away
And still I prefer you to anyone else
And still I thrill at your kiss

Not bad for 14 years
Not bad at all

Today is our 14th anniversary
And I wanted to gift you a poem
One that has been in the making for about that long

But I’m no poet
And won’t be one soon
So I guess you’ll have to wait for another 14.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Felicidades nuevamente!!!
Dios les mantenga juntos por muchos más..

Maruca said...

Not bad for an alleged non-poet. ¡¡Felicidades!!
Best wedding that I've ever been to, for certain. The place was tropical and gorgeous; the ceremony was unique; the company was selected and special, the food, delectable. Even the entertainment was grand! Remember this cute 1-year-old trying to steal the show?!
The cliché “meant for each other” is overused and actually kind of cheesy for us cynics. But, the two of you being together cannot be a matter of chance. And if it was, then how can two people be so lucky?!
I love you both!

Dr. S said...

Aww--so, so sweet. Your whole life is a poem, and that is the best kind of poetry.

Hooray! Happy anniversary!

Boricua en la Luna said...

My mother once said I lived my life like the heroine of a romance novel. I tend to think my life has been more like a gothic novel, and while I'm not sure that it's poetry yet (though I very much appreciate the sentiment), I'm at least more able to find the poetry in it nowadays (or at least try). :)